4/10/2009

Living In The Past

I recently watched a movie called "Body of Lies" which was your typical spy thriller with deceit and unexpected twists. But my point here is not to write a movie review but to examine a quote that I thought was very interesting. Note that the context of the quote from the movie was used differently.

The quote: "If you live like it's the past and behave like it's the past; then the guys from the future find it very hard to see you."

Immediately when I heard that statement my mind kept comparing it to the church and my field of youth ministry. The question that was replaying over and over in my head was "How is my ministry context behaving like the past, that students now and in the future are not able to connect? And then my head exploded with about a million more questions here is a few.

What is wrong with the ways of the past?
Is there anything from the past worth using in todays culture?
How far should we immerse ourself in culture to reach teens?
What will the future look like and how can we be ready for it?

I have written on some of these questions in my previous posts but I still think it is necessary that we keep asking them. I pray that youth workers will continue to immerse themselves in conversation with peers to help each other come to new conclusions of ministry.

Before I start to unpacking this more I would like to hear your thoughts on the quote or inquiries that were brought up. Please feel free to discuss both church and youth ministry scenarios.

No comments: